A RARE EARLY 16TH CENTURY OAK MACE STAND. CIRCA 1500.
THE SQUARE PIERCED TOP WITH FOUR GOTHIC ARCHITECTURAL SUPPORTS WITH CENTRAL HEXAGONAL PIERCED SHELF TERMINATING IN A CRUCIFORM BASE. PROVENANCE- RECEIPT FROM MARY BELLIS SOLD TO THE EARL OF PERTH, 20TH JUNE 1965 AS AN EARLY 16TH CENTURY MACE STAND.
FROM THE COLLECTION OF THE 17TH EARL OF PERTH, STOBALL CASTLE, PERTHSHIRE, SCOTLAND.
Stobhall and its lands were granted to Sir John Drummond in 1367. His daughter married King Robert. The royal links brought money and power and, in the late 15th-century, the family was given permission to build another, more substantial home 25 miles to the west, Drummond Castle.
Stobhall became the family’s second home and the place where they hunted and fished and took their leisure. James IV, who courted Margaret Drummond in the gardens, fell in love with the castle, and even wrote a poem in its honour. The 16th-century chapel, restored by James Strathallan’s grandfather, David, Earl of Perth, suggests the family’s connections spread well beyond British royalty as the painted images are all of foreign monarchs, including the mythical African king Prester John and the splendid King of Mauretania on an elephant.
The Lords Drummond, elevated to the Earldom of Perth in 1605, lived there until the mid-18th century. They forfeited the title in 1715 and then Stobhall in 1745 for backing the Old and Young Pretenders, although it remained in the family through marriage.
It was restored in the 1950s when passed back to the Earl of Perth, the title having been reinstated in the 19th century. Viscount Strathallan carried out more restoration work at the beginning of this century.
43.5" HIGH X 21" WIDE X 21" DEEP.
STOCK NO 1385.