A 17TH CENTURY ENGLISH SCHOOL OIL ON CANVAS OF LORD CHIEF JUSTICE NICHOLAS HYDE. (1572-1631).
The sitter was born at Wardour Castle, Wiltshire, the fourth and youngest son of Laurence Hyde (d.1590) of Gussage St Michael, Dorset, and West Hatch, Wiltshire, and his second wife, Anne Sibell (d.1606). Educated at Exeter College, Oxford, he joined the Middle Temple on 14th July 1590, though he was not formally admitted to chambers there until 1593. In 1597 he gained the parliamentary seat for Old Sarum (salisbury), and was called to the bar the following year. Following a meteoric career Hyde was retained, in 1626, by the Duke of Buckingham to help draft responses to his articles of impeachment, a commission which led directly to his knighting and appointment as Chief Justice of the King''s Bench on 5th February 1627. In 1601 he married Mary, daughter of Arthur Swayne of Sarson, Hampshire, by whom he had three sons and a daughter. By the time of his death in May 1630 Hyde had accumulated manors in Hampshire, Wiltshire and Devon, as well as East India stock and shares in London waterworks.
Relined and cleaned about 50 years ago.
49" wide x 62" high including frame.
In its original carved giltwood frame with hyde armorial family crest for the top and lions mask at the bottom, this is in fair condition but suffers from some flaking to the gilding.
stock no 846.