CHESTS / COFFERS | NEW STOCK | SALES ARCHIVE

THE MAGNIFICENT 15TH CENTURY DOCUMENTED "UPPER GRAVENHURST MEDIEVAL CHURCH CHEST", BEDFORDSHIRE. CIRCA 1450.

Upper Gravenhurst is a small village located in the Central Bedfordshire district of Bedfordshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Gravenhurst. The Church of St Giles has been established in the village since the 12th Century.

THIS MAGNIFICENT 15TH CENTURY ENGLISH OAK AND IRONBOUND CHURCH CHEST WAS INTENDED TO HOLD THE CHURCH VALUABLES,SOMETIMES DESCRIBED AS A MUNIMENT CHESTS.

THIS RARE EXAMPLE IS CONSTRUCTED OF THICK OAK PLANKS AND HAS SIX IRON HASPS, THREE OF WHICH ARE STRUCK WITH THE LETTER H FOUNDRY MARK, STANDING ON ITS ORIGINAL SLEDGE FEET.

THIS TYPE OF CHEST ARE ALSO SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS OF THE MENDLESHAM TYPE.

THIS CHEST COMES WITH THE RELEVANT PAPER WORK FROM THE DIOCESE OF ST ALBANS GIVING PERMISSION FOR THE CHEST TO BE SOLD.

A MAGNIFICENT AND RARE MEDIEVAL CHURCH STRONG CHEST WHICH RARELY BECOME AVAILABLE TO THE PRIVATE MARKET.

STOCK NO 1880.


Dimensions:
Height: 20 inches (50.8 cms)
Width: 37 inches (94.0 cms)
Depth: 18 inches (45.7 cms)

SOLD

Enquire     Print     Back